3-Day Wrapped Red Fox
This 3-Day Red Fox full-size class series will be co-taught by Allis Markham & Tim Bovard, museum taxidermist at The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles.
This is a pre-release class specifically for graduates of beginning mammals (Skunks, Opossum, Raccoons, Otter) or those who did Birds 101 but have relevant taxidermy experience (that are approved by Prey via email of portfolio).
Red Foxes are canids that are both beautiful and have unique physical characteristics both in body, face, and pose. Utilizing a wrapped body creation, students will make their own form- which enables them to create any pose they want. This technique is used by museum and professional taxidermy for custom pieces.
This class will include advanced techniques used in only the highest levels of taxidermy:
- Creation of custom form based on anatomy
- Posing of your taxidermy mount
- Techniques for truly reading reference
- Expression and changes of facial details
- Working with a commercial head and resources on creating your own
- Finishing work kits to take home with detailed instructions
- Students may also purchase a second Red Fox skin (cost TBD)
Each student will work with tanned skin that was diligently prepared by our staff; giving students only the highest quality specimen. All supplies, tools & specimens will be provided for you. Students will also be given a take-home finishing kit, PDF of each step, supply lists, tools lists, and resources that might help them on their taxidermy journey.
We will be working on Red Foxes collected as part of pest control/abatement in areas where population or predation has become a problem. Their deaths are not related to the art and are simply a by-product of pest & population management.
* We can accommodate students who are not local and cannot attend on May 11th by sending a kit and a relevant video on wrapping a body. However, we request that local students attend the May 11th as we cannot provide this service to a large number of people and in-person learning is always an advantage.
We understand this class is cost-prohibitive. Please know it is due to our high overhead, specimen cost, preparation time, staff labor, and extra day teaching. For these reasons, we are allowing students to pay in 4 payments.
Students may leave a 25% deposit on this class with code 'REDFOXPAY1'. You will then pay each additional 25% on or before the following dates/links:
(We will email you a reminder if you forget.)
Location & Cancellations
** Please review our strict cancellation policy here **
LOCATION: The class will be held at the new Prey Taxidermy studio at 2684 Lacy St Los Angeles 90031. You will receive a confirmation email with a liability waiver and other information a few days before class.